Bulldog’s Fall Sports Review

Football                           

Football went 5-6 this season, led by senior quarterback Joe Kennedy. “It is a pleasure having the opportunity to coach players in high school and freshman football,” said Coach Buckmaster. Even after the tough loss of star running back Rayquion Weston, the team still rallied back with wins against Republic, Nixa, Willard, Branson, and  Hillcrest. The team had a new face on the coaching staff this season, with Coach Dankelson being introduced as the offensive line coach. Micah Lieberman says, “He brings the energy,” when asked about Coach Dankelson. As their season winds down, they look to make a trip to the state championship for the first time under Coach Buckmaster.

Cross Country

Bulldog cross country ran well this season with the girls team winning five meets and the boys winning two. Graduating seniors are Emma Leach, Evie Cross, Maegan Derfelt, and Diego Nelson. Cross country faced new opponents this season, with the move to Class 4, and added a meet to their schedule. The girl’s team went to state as a team again to keep their five year streak alive.

Volleyball

Volleyball had a nice season under Coach Sharples, picking up 14 wins. Led by seniors Grace Southern, Kayleigh Sewell, Loran Dawson, Breanna Maxwell, and Courtney Schmidt, the volleyball team played a strong schedule, posting huge wins against rival Webb City and Bentonville. Even with the loss of their great seniors, the volleyball team has lots of upcoming talent with juniors Dani Wrensch and McKenna Jones, as well as sophomores Salma Lewis, Berea Sluder, and Jillian Kennedy. Bulldogs volleyball looks to finish the season strong in the district tournament on a potential run for state. The volleyball team will be serving lots of entertainment for many years to come.

Girls’ Golf

The girls’ golf team has had a wildly successful season led by junior, Jenna Teeter. The Bulldogs placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in all five of their first matches. Teeter took the top score in all of these and plenty more, eventually breaking the 18 hole par 72 record with a 68, a new state record. At the district tournament, it was Jenna Teeter on top winning the individual district championship and advancing to sectionals along with junior, Abby Rogers. Again, Teeter’s domination led her to a tie for a sectional title and a ticket to the state tournament, where she finished as a tied for 13th All State girls golfer. With new up-and-coming talent, the girls golf team looks to be dominant again next year.

Softball

The girl’s softball team picked up six hard fought wins this season, following seniors Kyndal Channel and Julia Fiechtl. They are focused on the future of their team and are ready to have another push in the playoffs next year. “We did a great job of making sure everyone was positive and that nobody got down on themselves or others,” said Kyndal Channel.  Bulldog softball had some great memories with big wins over Joplin and Hillcrest. They picked up a district win against Cassville but had their season ended by McDonald County, the number one ranked team in the district. The softball team looks to head to state next year with upcoming talent.

Girl’s Tennis

The girl’s tennis team had a good season against one of the strongest tennis conferences in the state with an excellent playoff run made by junior Abby Hodson, the sectionals runner-up. They were led by seniors Alexis Smith, Kennedy Bandy, Morgan Willikans, and Tatum Graham, and posted shutouts against Monett and Neosho, with hard fought wins against Webb City and Bolivar. “We had a good year, and finished around where I thought we would.” said Coach Neldeberg. The team looks to have another good season next year with a lot of young talent. Coach Neldeberg had this to say about young, promising players, “New freshman Nichole Sherwood put in a lot of off-season work. I’m excited to see her development over these next three years.”  Keep your eyes on girls tennis, as their future looks promising.

Soccer

The soccer team had a quality season under Coach Miller and team captains Andrew Doyle, Isaiah Durman, and Riley Kunce. The Bulldogs had sizable wins against McDonald County, College Heights, and Parkview as goalies Dalton Carey and Connor Sztamenits held College Heights scoreless in a 5-0 victory. The soccer team is looking ahead to next season with a strong lineup including eight seniors and four juniors. “Our team effort is there, and our team will perform as a family,” said Connor Sztamenits. As their season begins to wind down, the boys soccer team looks to advance through the playoffs and win the district championship for the second time since 2016. These next few seasons look to be very good for the Carl Junction boys soccer team.