• April 28School ends for all students on May 25.

• April 28Seniors graduate on May 17!

Discover Engineering in New Class

If you look around, everything from the chair you sit in, the car you drive, or the bus you may take home was created and designed by an engineer. Carl Junction offers two engineering classes currently and will offer another one next year. All classes follow the PLTW pathway.

PLTW stands for Project Lead The Way, a program which brings engineering and medical classes to schools to get students excited about these careers. Teachers receive special training from a semi-local college to teach these courses. Over two weeks in the summer, they learn everything the students learn through the whole year.

The first of these classes is “Intro to Engineering.” This class is used to introduce students to the design process and various drawing types necessary, including pictorial and 3D. Students use the design process to complete instant challenges, in which the student has to try and complete a task, often with real life application, with as few materials as possible and in the shortest amount of time. Students are also introduced to the 3D modeling software, Autodesk Inventor. The software is used to create 3D renderings of parts that the students designed themselves.

The second class is “Principles of Engineering.” In this class, students take what they learned in Intro and apply it to more difficult real world problems. The class starts with simple machines and gear trains and how to calculate mechanical advantage of them. Then, the students use VEX robotic kits to build testbeds with various sensors and motors and use RobotC to code the testbeds to do various things. After this, they build marble sorters, machines meant to sort 15 marbles of various types in under two minutes, which are what the students are working on finishing now. After this, they will learn about fluid power, and then stress analysis of bridges.

Next year, Carl Junction is offering Computer Integrated Manufacturing, or CIM. In this class, students will advance their Computer Aided Design skills to be able to design and use a CNC mill to transform a block of raw material into an object of their design. This class was chosen over the architectural class because in the modern world, coding is becoming more of a desired skill, and this class expands students’ coding knowledge. Carl Junction High School is ever growing in its efforts to help tomorrow’s engineers get an early start on learning important skills today.