• May 24Have A Great Summer!

An Accident of Stars: Book Review

Daniel Brower

It is always a shame when a fantasy novel with a promising setting and plot is cut short by a political agenda, but, sadly, that is the case in Foz Meadow’s “An Accident of Stars.” The story follows a young Australian high school girl named Saffron. It opens with her being bullied and assaulted by some boys in her class, before being saved by a mysterious woman, whom she chases after. Eventually, Saffron sees her slip through a strange portal and follows her through it.  From here, she sets off on a journey in a new world.

The picture of a world that “An Accident of Stars” paints is probably the strongest part of this book’s storytelling. It’s one where the stereotypical social rules of our world tend to be flipped on their heads. In this world, people of darker skin are more common and dominant socially than their paler counterparts, matriarchies are more common than patriarchies, and the general rules of marriage are completely changed in many, many ways. The narrative takes advantage of this, having its young, white, Australian, female lead interact with this world in strange ways due to the fact that she is an outsider in a new land.  Meadows tries to bring attention to injustices from our world by natural exploration of similar issues in a fantasy world. Sadly, though, this exploration is cut short by soapboxing.

The story – though it was already sharing its points very well in the narrative – would often stop to have a character grandstand for several pages, spewing about injustices in a way that took away from the story. It isolated the reader from the story by having these long and dragging rants that, while on important issues that need to be discussed, don’t need to be discussed at the expense of the narrative.

The story does earn a lot of merit in its final quarter, taking some interesting twists, having several amazing moments, and wrapping up the questions that the author had left us with since the beginning, before finishing with an epic twist and narrative moment.

I want to give “An Accident of Stars” a good review for its interesting world and characters, but it is hard to look past its flaws and long moments of soapboxing that took away from its plot. In the end, I have to give “An Accident of Stars” a 5 out of 10.