• April 19Anyone interested in in running cross country next year, there will be a meeting in room 412 on April 27th.

• March 6Yearbooks are on sale through April 27th

• March 2Prom tickets are on sale in Mrs. Alford's room 401 for $20, Prom will be April 21 st

A Round of Problems

Taryn Pirtle and Josh Hawn

Students still remain curious about safety solutions, but the problem all comes down to money.

Money first played a role on March 2, 2010, when the city of Carl Junction paid Tri State Engineering $3,000 for professional insight for conceptual plans for roundabouts in Carl Junction to reduce traffic problems. This study showed possible construction plans for different roundabouts throughout Carl Junction.

The investment in the study was just the beginning. Tri State concluded that the price for a roundabout on Hartley and Walnut Street would be around $397,584. City Administrator Steve Lawver prioritized this roundabout out of the other six intersections that Tri State analyzed.

Lawver then stated at the city council on August 17, 2010 that he had applied for an ARRA grant for the roundabout for the school. The grant would have brought the cost that the city owed for the roundabout down to $97,000. However, the city was not awarded the grant.

Another option to help the city pay for the roundabout was a Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) 50/50 plan that allowed for the price of the roundabout to be split with MoDOT. But MoDOT has to prioritize funding for different projects and uses strict guidelines to do so. Our staff’s investigation of these guidelines is ongoing.

As time goes on, inflation complicates the financial situation further. The project, which once would have cost a projected $397,584 is now estimated to cost $500,000. Mr. Pyle, Lawver, and a MoDOT representative met informally in the fall of 2017 to discuss this latest estimate.

For a road improvement to be made to a road there first has to be a problem that has to be fixed. At the Walnut and Hartley intersection, the high school creates traffic congestion when students leave or enter. Megan Wehmeyer, CJ Police Department dispatcher, reported a list of accidents that have happened at or near Carl Junction High School from 2012 to 2017.

There were a total of 60 vehicle accidents at or near the high school and three on the intersection of Walnut and Hartley. Only three of those list Walnut and Hartley specifically –  the rest of just say at CJHS or near CJHS. 61.7 % of the 60 wreck reports say they are at CJHS. This means a total of sixty wrecks have happened near the Carl Junction High School that  are not on the MoDOT website crash report list. With the wrecks around the High School not on the MoDOT crash report list it is unclear how many crashes have been noticed by them. Without the MoDOT funding for the roundabout a High School roundabout seems like a distant fantasy. Everyone is still trying to connect the dots and get down to the bottom of how we can fix this problem.