• May 24Have A Great Summer!

Virus Slams K-1

Gayle Babcock - Architectural Im

Gayle Babcock - Architectural Im

On March 8 and 9 the Carl Junction school district cancelled school, due to a norovirus outbreak. Over the time school was cancelled, janitors cleaned and sanitized all the schools in the district, disinfecting everything students came into contact with on an everyday basis such as the lockers, chairs, and doorknobs and busses.

The morning of March 7, attendance at the K-1 building was only 80 percent, which meant over 100 kids were absent from school with the then mysterious sickness. By noon that day, over 40 kids had been sent home, each experiencing vomiting and diarrhea. Nurse Bridget says that “I have not seen any confirmed cases of anyone with those complaints” here at the high school. Staff and students in the high school do not appear to be at risk, but should still be careful and take care not to catch the illness.

According to the CDC, norovirus is a quick-spreading virus that can infect anyone. You can get it from an infected person, by touching contaminated surfaces, or by ingesting contaminated food or water. The virus inflames your stomach causing gastrointestinal problems (upset stomach), for about 12 to 14 hours, diarrhea and vomiting. Other symptoms include fever, headache, and body aches.

To help prevent the spread of this quick-spreading disease, all students are encouraged to wash their hands consistently and thoroughly. If you do come down with the norovirus, or you believe you may have it, please stay home and take care of yourself. Drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest. You are also advised to stay away from school until you are 24 hours symptom free. Doing all of this will help stop the illness from spreading and keep everyone at CJ healthy.