• February 12HS Cheer and Mascot tryout meeting Feb. 28 @7:30 in the indoor

• February 2Join us in Belize June 2019 where you can experience the white beaches, charming lagoons, and the beautiful mountains.

• January 25Colleges Visiting CJ: Pittstate on Feb 28 th. and March 7 th.

The Greatest Showman

Stormi Norton

This article contains spoilers for the movie “The Greatest Showman.”

Not many people know the story of how the first circus came about. The tale of P. T. Barnum and his oddities is beautifully told in “The Greatest Showman.” P. T. Barnum’s circus, at the time, was seen as a monstrosity, a joke. Now, circuses are so common that we barely blink whenever we see one. In the movie, Barnum and his “freaks” were consistently verbally abused. While it rolled off of Barnum, the other’s couldn’t handle it quite as well. In addition to outside prejudice, even Barnum treated them as though they were less than other “normal” people.

One of the biggest contributing factors to the magic of the movie is the music. Four weeks after the movie came out on December 8, 2017, the soundtrack for this incredible movie hit number 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart and was the first soundtrack to climb to the number 1 spot since Pentatonix’s A Pentatonix Christmas. It’s also the first theatrically released musical film soundtrack to hit number 1 since 2015, according to Billboard. One of the most popular songs in the film is “This Is Me” sang by the Bearded Lady (Keala Settle) and the rest of the company.  The second most popular song in the movie is the duet by Sarah (Zendaya) and Phillip (Zac Efron) called “Rewrite The Stars.”

The reaction from CJHS students has been pretty good. Everyone seems to love the music throughout the movie. Miles Stamper’s favorite song is “The Other Side.” He said, “The interaction between Hugh Jackman (P.T. Barnum) and Zac Efron’s (Phillip) characters is well planned out and neatly executed.” Overall the music had great reviews, and some even say it was the best part of the movie.

The Greatest Showman was a hit, and we can’t wait to see what else the movie industry has in store!