• April 28School ends for all students on May 25.

• April 28Seniors graduate on May 17!

Big Fish on the Block

Kinsey Morey

Carl Junction High School’s newest sport is off to a great season with several wins and many great athletes. The team has competed at seven meets so far in this season. These meets include the All Relays Meet, Monett Duel, Carthage Invitational, Monett Invitational, Carthage Pentathlon, Ozark Invitational, and Joplin Duel. The team has made a splash in the world of high school swimming, taking three first places, a third place, and a seventh place so far. Along with these outstanding team finishes, many of the swimmers have placed in their individual events. Madeline Wilson (senior), Keira Holt (senior), Emma Lacey (freshman), Kinsey Morey (senior), Corinne Miller (sophomore), Sophia Hensley (freshman), and Salma Lewis (freshman) placed in the top five in one or more individual events at a meet. Miller placed fourth in the 100-yard backstroke at the Monett Duel, Lacey placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke at the Carthage Duel, and Wilson placed first in the 100-yard butterfly at the Monett Invitational. Many of the girls on the team regularly place in the top ten of their event.

The team is filled with swimmers from all different levels of experience. This ranges from swimmers who have swum for 14 years to girls who have never swum before. Many of the girls said that their goal for this season was to go to State and to end the season knowing that they left nothing in the pool at the end of their race. The Carl Junction girls’ swim team has gone from not existing to being a team everyone wants to beat.