• April 28School ends for all students on May 25.

• April 28Seniors graduate on May 17!

Bring Holiday Cheer to Everyone

Addison Miller, Writer

The holidays are a time for joy and family. Many people want to do more for some of the less-fortunate around the holiday season but tend to forget that volunteering is one of the best ways to help out and places need people to help year-round. Here in the Joplin area, there are several shelters and homes that need volunteers.

Golden Paw and the Joplin Humane Society are great places for animal lovers to start. Golden Paw is the smaller of the two shelters, and they are in need of constant volunteers. Joplin Humane Society is a larger, and need help taking care of the many animals that come in. If you do not have any time to physically go, then you can donate clean blankets, food, leashes, shampoo, and toys for the animals. If you do want to volunteer, some of the work that would be done would be walking the dogs, cleaning, feeding, sitting with the cats, and brushing the animals.

Watered Gardens is a Gospel homeless shelter on 531 Kentucky Ave in Joplin. They provide opportunities for shelter residents and the working poor to come and earn what they need. They have a wide array of different jobs that can be done by volunteers, such as working in the kitchen, helping with check-ins and checkouts, helping with meals, maintenance work, house repair, automotive repair, and so many more things. They also have a website where you can find all of their information and things that are needed for a donation. A few of these items are furniture, dishes, pots, pans, backpacks, hygiene items, clothing, shoes, and many more.

Yes, volunteering is wholesome, but when working with people or animals, be sure to check out any places before volunteering and make sure it’s a good fit. Volunteering doesn’t have to end during the holidays and can really help out people in need, so take some time and volunteer at a local shelter!