• Check out our first issue in all the class rooms

• Order your yearbook before February 1st when the price goes up

The Reality of Resolutions

Melissa Hendrickson

Every year, students at Carl Junction High School make New Year’s resolutions.  For about the first week, the resolutions are easy to stick to, but, after that, it gets difficult to keep up with them for a number of different reasons.  

“I think [the most common resolution] is preparing ourselves better for the upcoming semester.” said Hope Gardner (senior).  Katie Crider (junior) agreed, saying, “Everybody makes a resolution to be a better student, get ahead, and not procrastinate.”  Staying on top of these goals, however, is easier said than done.  “We have plans for getting things done early and not procrastinating, but then we go back to our old habits.” explained Gardner.  Emily Robertson (junior) pointed out that “We don’t stick to [resolutions] because we’re so used to the schedule we have or things we do that we don’t make time to do what we say [we will].”  Things like planners or study groups are very helpful for keeping yourself accountable and making sure you are caught up on your work.    

Ethan Brown (junior) said another common resolution was “to try to be a better person and to see the world in a more positive light.”  Although a good attitude is something many people desire, it is very difficult to keep oneself in that headspace.  Resolutions like this one might seem easy to accomplish, but it is a constant struggle to be aware of what you think and do all the time.  Brown suggested “trying, day in and day out, to put on a smile” as a simple way to improve one’s attitude.  

In the words of Tatum Graham (junior), “Just make a plan and stick to it.  Don’t try to do it all at once; you have to pace yourself.”  Yes, New Year’s resolutions can be daunting to commit to, but success is possible if one has a realistic plan and carries it out to the best of their ability.  Good luck, and happy New Year, Carl Junction!