Leading into Fall

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leading into Fall

Connor Pittman

Starting on Sunday, October 22 and lasting until the 24, the junior high and high school TSA (Technology Student Association) chapters attended the Fall Leadership Conference, or FLC for short, at Missouri S&T in Rolla Missouri. FLC is designed to help students in chapters all over the state help and grow their TSA chapters. Students participated in running meetings according to parliamentary procedure, organizing committees, and participated in The Battle Zone (events designed to simulate competitive events at the state level). Students also organized small fundraisers to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Fundraisers included selling tickets for the individual chapters to go first at dinner, multiple raffles, lip sync battles, and paying to have an important TSA member sprayed in the face with silly string.

Battle Zone events included, but were not limited to, the following: Tech Bowl (trivia), fundraising, creating a newsletter, and trying to recite the TSA creed from memory. “It is cool to see different people, from different school districts, come together to accomplish massive amounts of work in such a little amount of time,” said two-year state officer, sophomore Ashley Stokes. The Pinnacle Award was presented to the color chapter that had the best cumulative performance in Battle Zone events. The chapter that won was known as “The Yellow Jackets.” Due to the nature of FLC, the members of each chapter are from different school districts, and only one Carl Junction student was in this chapter.  

New this year is LEAP (Leadership, Education, Achievement, and Personal growth). LEAP is designed to “encourage students to be the best members they can be as they seek knowledge about themselves, the organization, and their community, while demonstrating leadership.”  Each chapter member is required to turn in a LEAP resume for every event they do. The resume tracks the leadership activities and experiences a TSA member has completed as part of each competition. And as John Quincy Adams once said, “ If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” The FLC was a success.