• December 5Donate a new or gently used books to Mrs. Pendergrass to earn a chance in a drawing for gift cards

• December 5Colleges Visiting CJ: Ozark Christian College on Feb. 7th

• December 5Colleges Visiting CJ: State Technical College on Jan. 4th

• December 5Java Junctions Christmas Specials are available!

• December 5Bright futures is having a hygiene drive if you donate, you will receive a free Java Junction drink.

• December 5FBLA extended the end date of the canned food drive to Dec 15th.

• November 27Senior Salutes are being sold now, all order forms are due Jan. 19th

• November 27Join A+ tutoring in Mrs. Wimmer's room Monday-Thursday after school until 4:15pm.

• November 14FBLA is working with Sonic for a can food drive for every 5 canned good you will receive a token for 1 medium Sonic drink

The Key Signature to Success: District Honor Choir Auditions

Melissa Hendrickson

District Honor Choir auditions were Saturday, September 16 at the Carthage High School, and the students from the Carl Junction choir did extremely well.  Choir members had been working hard for weeks before the auditions to prepare.  Twenty-two students auditioned, and seventeen students were lucky and talented enough to be chosen to participate in the Honor Choir.  

Each audition had two parts.  The first part of the audition was sight reading; this is when a singer is introduced to a piece of music with two lines and two key signatures, and then he or she has to perform it without being given any time to learn or practice it.  The second part of the audition is a solo performance.  Each of the students slaved over their solos, working to perfect them in class and after school.  

For many students who made the choir, this isn’t their first year to be a part of it.  Heather Wallace, a senior that is participating in the Honor Choir this year, also participated in the program her junior year.  When asked about her experience and why she wanted to audition a second time, she said, “It’s lots of fun getting to sing with a community, and you get to know the people you’re around.  Being around other people who can sing and sharing moments with them is a great feeling.”  Similarly, Davin Ducre, a junior who is doing Honor Choir for the third time this year, remarked, “My favorite part [about the Honor Choir] is getting to make music with people that actually appreciate making it.”

The District Honor Choir participants will work to perfect four to seven songs, and they will perform them on October 28 at the Joplin High School.  The concert is free and open to anyone who wants to go support their friends, family, or peers.  

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The Key Signature to Success: District Honor Choir Auditions”

1. Heather Wallace on October 6th, 2017 9:50 am

This is such a great article!! (Especially when it has such a great resource;)) Sounds like a great high school experience!

[Reply]

2. Madisyn Leary on October 6th, 2017 9:52 am

Honor choir is such an amazing opportunity! I’ve been in it the past three years, and it’s my favorite activity of the year! Loved that you guys talked about the choir program, and what has been going on!

[Reply]

3. Darian Wilson on October 6th, 2017 9:54 am

I really like how informative this article is, especially since I didn’t do honor choir this year.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Key Signature to Success: District Honor Choir Auditions

Archives

Dominating Districts

Archives

Saluting the Veterans

Archives

Leading into Fall

Archives

One Last Match

Archives

Mapleleaf

• Archives

Girls State Golf Goes Great

• Archives

Kicking off Districts

• Archives

New Things Brewing

Archives

Kid fest 2017

• Archives

Running the Road to State