• September 21Seniors the deadline for the DAR resume submission is Nov. 17th

• September 19The ACT will be held at CJHS on Oct 28th

• September 11Colleges Visiting CJ: Labette Community College on Nov. 6

• September 11Colleges visiting CJ, Pittsburg State on Nov. 1, Nov. 15, and Nov. 29

MOSO Students Go Green

Jon Petry

MOSO Students Go Green

MSSU Freshmen Begin Accelerated Medical Undergraduate Program

On Saturday, August 19, a group of prestigious high school graduates from around the 4-States area began a journey every aspiring physician wished they could have. Students were guaranteed acceptance into the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, the new medical school in Joplin.

In the ceremony students received green coats to symbolize the start of their undergraduate career, in contrast to the white coats students receive at the beginning of medical school. The undergraduate program these elite students became a part of is called “Yours to Lose,” which is a bachelor level program where they will undergo three years of schooling in order to obtain a bachelor’s degree in biology and automatic acceptance into med school without the need to take the Medical College Acceptance Test, as long as they maintain their grades. Being the first year of this program, Missouri Southern State University is eager to broaden the program’s publicity in order to increase the application pool size for the sake of the competitive enhancement of each student as they engage in the strenuous process of applying for the program, and in turn, medical school.

One such student, Sophia Day, a 2017 graduate of Carl Junction High School, describes how she found out about the program and the steps she took to help her chances in the application process. “[I found the program] from a counselor at school.” Being the first year of the program itself, it is understandable that it would be hard to find for someone who doesn’t know what to look for, but that is the job of Carl Junction High School guidance counselors: to provide us with opportunities we normally wouldn’t know we had. When asked about the preparations she made for the application, she said “Honestly, all the preparation I did [for the program] was already done. I had already known I had wanted to be a doctor, so my resume included extra curriculum, volunteering, good grades, and recommendations.” She is now just seven short years away from becoming a doctor, a feat that takes others eight years.