• September 21Seniors the deadline for the DAR resume submission is Nov. 17th

• September 19The ACT will be held at CJHS on Oct 28th

• September 11Colleges Visiting CJ: Labette Community College on Nov. 6

• September 11Colleges visiting CJ, Pittsburg State on Nov. 1, Nov. 15, and Nov. 29

North Korea’s Reputation has gone South

Tim Kowis, Web Manager

North Korea has increased its missile program and have made many threats in the past few months and ever since the hostile cease-fire that was not meant to last in July 27, 1953.  Their most recent test was able to reach 1000 km and into the sea of Japan, showing that it will be a long time before any missiles will even have the capability to reach America, much less Carl Junction.  Yet, many Americans show a certain amount of paranoia from North Korea, and nobody knows why.

Technically, since it was only a cease-fire that has lasted to this day, the war has remained unresolved for the last sixty-four years.  During the Korean war, South Korea was supported by democratic nations such as America, while North Korea was supported by Communist nations such as China and the U.S.S.R.  North Korea began the war by invading South Korea setting a stage for the Communist nations to spread their government and Democratic nations to “liberate” the North.  Many Americans were paranoid that a “Domino effect” would happen and South Korea would become Communist making more nations in Southeast Asia Communist and eventually the world.  So America went to war seemingly for the liberation of North Korea and defending the South but our intentions were for global politics and giving ourselves more power in the world, while keeping Communist nations from retrieving power, or power politics.

Both North Korea and the U.N. agreed to a cease-fire after pushing the Communist forces to the 38th parallel, the same line crossed when North Korea invaded South Korea.  This started what some consider a long intermission leading to an eventual continuation of the play.  However, the world didn’t remain on hold, since then the U.S.S.R. has become modern day Russia with a dodgy form of democracy.  China has underwent many changes with many political reforms.  North Korea, although on hold in a way, has advanced its arsenal and has become much more radical.  South Korea has prepared but is considered to have many amenities of the modern world.  Most importantly, North Korea has lost support of other Communist nations.  Russia, although mysterious in its motives, has a slightly better relationship with the U.N. since the Korean war.  China is also in the U.N. and has distanced itself from North Korea by considering to place sanctions on North Korean coal which is the prime source of North Korea’s economy.

So North Korea has increased its missile program and has continued to threaten America, Japan, and other portions of the free world, and we have threatened back making the situation more and more volatile.  North Korea is effectively being backed into a secluded corner, and is losing support of anything that can actually fight back.  The intermission may be about to end.  War is not a good option though, due to the advancement of the entire world’s arsenal, if any of us were to fire one, others will fire to end both, then someone will fire upon them, and etcetera.  So perhaps the stage should be set with a nice scene of all parties having a chat at a table rather than flipping them over to hide behind preparing for conflict.