• December 5Donate a new or gently used books to Mrs. Pendergrass to earn a chance in a drawing for gift cards

• December 5Colleges Visiting CJ: Ozark Christian College on Feb. 7th

• December 5Colleges Visiting CJ: State Technical College on Jan. 4th

• December 5Java Junctions Christmas Specials are available!

• December 5Bright futures is having a hygiene drive if you donate, you will receive a free Java Junction drink.

• December 5FBLA extended the end date of the canned food drive to Dec 15th.

• November 27Senior Salutes are being sold now, all order forms are due Jan. 19th

• November 27Join A+ tutoring in Mrs. Wimmer's room Monday-Thursday after school until 4:15pm.

• November 14FBLA is working with Sonic for a can food drive for every 5 canned good you will receive a token for 1 medium Sonic drink

Watch What You Say

Stephen Houser

At school students have things they can and can’t say to others to avoid hurt feelings. One thing students need to stay far away from would be wishing harm on others. In school wishing harm on someone is full of problems and the biggest reason to not wish harm on others is the student may actually go home and harm themselves or others. Regardless if it is a joke people still take things seriously or the student may have people at home and your “harmless” joke could push them over the edge. Now students may think they could get away with joking about self-harm or the harming of others just because they are the teachers pet or a straight A student just remember every action has consequences.

One such example is that of Maria Chappelle-Nadal a Missouri State Senator. On August 17, Maria Chappelle-Nadal said in a Facebook post “I hope Trump is assassinated.” Today it is very easy to communicate but, an easier way to communicate means an easier way to be rude and hateful. Even though Mrs.Chappelle-Nadal apologized, she is still, facing punishment for her actions such as calls for her resignation. Missouri Governor Eric Greitens said “If she will not resign, the Senate can vote to remove her. I believe they should.” A woman who is a State Senator cannot get away with saying hateful or hurtful things without consequences.

If a student is talking about self-harm, refer them to a counselor so they may see the help they need. Jokes are an important part of school life and jokes help lighten up the day and brighten people’s mood, but students need to realize what is and isn’t appropriate to joke about. Don’t be afraid to refer people to get the help they need especially if it’s about self-harm, you can always do it anonymously through Sprigeo.