• December 5Donate a new or gently used books to Mrs. Pendergrass to earn a chance in a drawing for gift cards

• December 5Colleges Visiting CJ: Ozark Christian College on Feb. 7th

• December 5Colleges Visiting CJ: State Technical College on Jan. 4th

• December 5Java Junctions Christmas Specials are available!

• December 5Bright futures is having a hygiene drive if you donate, you will receive a free Java Junction drink.

• December 5FBLA extended the end date of the canned food drive to Dec 15th.

• November 27Senior Salutes are being sold now, all order forms are due Jan. 19th

• November 27Join A+ tutoring in Mrs. Wimmer's room Monday-Thursday after school until 4:15pm.

• November 14FBLA is working with Sonic for a can food drive for every 5 canned good you will receive a token for 1 medium Sonic drink

CPR Lesson in Schools

London Beck

Did you know that CPR lessons in health class this year are actually a requirement by law? Public Act 711, signed on June 14, 2016, requires the training to be based on the American Heart Association and that students must have hands-on manikin practice, watch a training DVD (not alone), and be educated on AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators). Students don’t need to have this training if they are a sophomore, junior, or senior this year. Only freshman and upcoming high schoolers will have to fulfill this requirement, which does not mean you need to be certified in CPR, you just have to have at least 30 minutes of this class. Why do we have to know this stuff? Some may say that everyone knows this already, and ask why should we teach teens, if they might not be much help anyway? Actually, approximately 1,000 people go into cardiac arrest in their homes, which  means that four out of five people who need CPR are not in hospital settings when this emergency happens. This means that we need people outside the medical field who are able to provide CPR.  According to Viral4real.com, a man who was drowning got pulled to shore and needed CPR, but no one knew how to do it and ended up dying. If this happened in a place where people knew how to provide CPR, then that man may still be alive.

Why do teens have to know, even if it isn’t an adult requirement? Sometimes there is no one else. For example, an 18-year-old in Tennessee this year saved a toddler’s life. The toddler’s mother came running to the drive through window with her son in her arms. Kaela Eads, a worker there, left the window and performed CPR. The ambulance arrived after the second time she had him breathing consistently. Eads, who learned CPR in class, said she didn’t know she’d ever have to use it, given she had only done CPR previously on a manikin. Without her that young boy may not have lived. Even with these great stories where the child is saved, many more are much like the man who drowned, making the survival rate of people who go into cardiac arrest are now a saddening 11 percent. With this CPR program the chances of survival can increase drastically and you could be the next person to save a life!